Monday, September 29, 2008

Reading Activity 3 on Intertexuality

In my Women's Studies class we had to read an article and write an essay about how it referred to a certain question that was assigned in class. The process I took to assemble my essay was to read first the article. Then, I went on the Internet to find quotes, because I always like to start my essays off with quotes that relate to my paper, I always feel like it gives out a stronger message. While I am using the Internet I background research my thesis question. Then I begin to write. I write my first draft without re-reading. After I have completed my essay that is when I go back and check for the mechanical errors.
I guess I really never thought about about how much my words stand out. It's like the quote in the text "you are as strong as your weakest link." It is funny that when I use quotes to start my paper that I am using intertexuality, because its a source of meaning and its a background and support for my essay. Now, that I am thinking about what words I choose to complete my sentences that turn into paragraphs that makes up my papers I typically put my beliefs and statements into each word. I always strive for better vocabulary so that is why I thesaurus abuse my words.

1 comment:

Scott Wible said...

You're right to note that beginning your essays with a quotation is a form of intertextual referencing here. And you make an interesting point when you note your purpose in doing so: "it gives out a stronger message." From a researchers' perspective, it would be interesting to hear why you to choose to incorporate a certain quote and not another as well as to analyze how you follow up this quote (that is, do you immediately interpret it, and if so, how do you perform this interpretation (for example, do you echo key words or phrases from the quote?)?