Tuesday, November 11, 2008

ARCS Act 2&3 pg. 318

Act. 2
In Senator John McCain’s concession speech about President-elect Barak Obama, displays examples of narratives, partitions, and perorations.

In a simple statement McCain states his narrative point: My friends, we have come to the end of a long journey. The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly. A little while ago, I had the honor of calling Sen. Barack Obama — to congratulate him on being elected the next president of the country that we both love.
This statement depicts the narrative point that he has lost this presidential race and is now honoring the rightful candidate who clearly won the American people’s vote.


Using partitions, here is an example throughout McCain’s speech that he names the issue in dispute: Sen. Obama and I have had and argued our differences, and he has prevailed. No doubt many of those differences remain. These are difficult times for our country, and I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face.
I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our goodwill and earnest effort to find ways to come together, to find the necessary compromises, to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.
Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that.

McCain, later also uses the second function in performing partition, where he lists the arguments in order as they have happened throughout the election process. He first identifies that he and Sen. Obama have had their differences, but he has won. Then he goes on to tell his supporters that they must move on as well and help “bridge” their differences with what is to come in our very near future.

In the concession speech to sum up everything the peroration was stated like this: I would not be an American worthy of the name, should I regret a fate that has allowed me the extraordinary privilege of serving this country for a half a century. Today, I was a candidate for the highest office in the country I love so much. And tonight, I remain her servant. That is blessing enough for anyone and I thank the people of Arizona for it.
Tonight — tonight, more than any night, I hold in my heart nothing but love for this country and for all its citizens, whether they supported me or Sen. Obama, I wish Godspeed to the man who was my former opponent and will be my president.
And I call on all Americans, as I have often in this campaign, to not despair of our present difficulties but to believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here.

McCain, sums up his speech by reiterating that he has served this country and will continue serving his country with pride. He brings the attention to people who have disagreed with the President-elect’s decision by commenting on how he will put his trust in Sen. Obama, as should everyone who has supported his campaign should do now; and he brings the attention to ALL Americans to believe in a country where there are no ends to possibilities that are created here. Throughout this, you can also get a sense of sympathy he posses on himself by saying, “, I was a candidate for the highest office in the country I love so much. And tonight, I remain her servant.”

Act. 3

If Shapiro were to write for a smaller publication, I do not see any reason why she would have to “tone”, or “modify” her original article. People read the press for a good reason, and that is to find “newsworthy” articles not something that has been sugar coated, because of a particular place where it has been published. So, no I do not think there is anything wrong with what she has wrote about the education and parents involvement at universities.

No comments: