Monday, November 17, 2008

ARCS Act. 1&3 pg. 364

Act. 1
From the DA:
- Sports Section.“Darryl ‘Truck’ Byrant”- This is an example of an Antonomasia, because it is a descriptive word used to describe a proper name.
- Main Page. “Reach out across campus”- This is an example of a Synecdoche, because the reach out across campus refers to assistance.
- News Section. “Sleepy Sunday” – Example of a Catachresis, because it is describing Sunday as sleepy, which does not exist.

From Internet Ad:
- “Great Depression II” – Example of Antonomasia and/or Metonymy, because it is using the event Great Depression to refer to something bad and it is also using the event to relate to an up and coming similar situation.

From Internet Article:
- “Koby Bryant is no Michael Jordan” – example of a Hyperbole, because it is used to strain the truth about Koby.

Advertisements:
- “Just Do It”- example of Metonymy, because that advertisement slogan is associated with Nike.
- “NOBAMA”- example of Hyperbaton, because it uses the word No and Obama and puts them together to create a campaign slogan that is a parody.

Act. 2
I used a passage by Mark Twain in “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.”
Original Passage:
“By and by he rolled out and jumped up to his feet looking wild, and he see me and went for me. He chased me round and round the place with a clasp knife, calling me the Angel of death, and saying he would kill me, and then I couldn’t come for him no more. I begged, and told him I was only Huck; but he laughed such a screechy laugh, an roared and cussed, and kept on chasing me up.”

*What I changed is in bold

New Passage:
“By and by he rolled out and jumped up like a bat out of hell, and he see me and went for me. Whoosh, he chased me round and round the place with a clasp knife, calling me the Angel of death, and saying he would kick the bucket on me , and then I couldn’t come for him no more. I begged like pigs on a farm, and told him I was only Huck, the adventurer; his laughter sounded like nails on a chalk board, an roared and cussed, and kept on chasing me up.”

No comments: